Saturday, January 27, 2018

Winter Cupcakes

A couple weeks ago, I was in charge of making cupcakes for our monthly choir treats night. The person I was paired up with wanted to do a winter wonderland theme so I was off on a mission to make my cupcakes look like they were ready for a winter wonderland. For the base, I made 2 batches: a simple chocolate cupcake and a simple vanilla cupcake. I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't have time to get crazy with my flavors. Besides, this post is about the decoration, not the recipe.

Since I was making 2 batches (about 44 cupcakes), I started with 32 oz of white frosting. Then, I added just a few (about 6) drops of blue food coloring. I didn't want it to be too blue, just more of like a subtle ice blue. I piped the frosting on top of the cupcakes (make sure they're completely cool first) and let them dry. I sprinkled a couple of them with glitter sprinkles to make it look like snow.

Then, I made the white chocolate snowflakes. I traced some snowflake designs on a piece of wax paper. Flip the wax paper over. Melt some almond bark. Put the melted almond bark in a squeeze bottle. Pipe/Trace the snowflakes. If it's too hot, wrap the bottle in a towel. Let the snowflakes dry completely before trying to take them off the wax paper and placing them on the cupcakes. I even added some blue sugar sprinkles to some of them.

After my choir practice, I put together my cupcake tower and placed them all on there. Everyone kept complimenting me so I think they turned out perfectly for what I needed them for. The tracing technique for almond bark is such a simple thing that it makes it useful for any occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment