Sunday, February 4, 2018

Travel Gifts

This is a fun family tradition that was passed down from my mom to me and I hope that my son does this for his kids when he has them. First of all, I love to travel. I make it a point to try to go on a vaction at least once a year. Sometimes I end up taking far more than one. For example, in 2017, I went to Scotland, a roadtrip through the Southeast United States, Wisconsin Dells, and Las Vegas! It was a crazy year and we spent way too much money! Now, for every vacation with my son, I get/make small gifts to be opened while we're travelling. These don't have to be anything huge or great. They're usually either something he can use while on the trip or small toys he can play with to entertain himself while we travel.

Here is a list of some of the things I have gotten for my son:

Games:
1. "What Am I?" Guessing Game
2. Kids travel game book

Toys:
3. Stress Ball

4. Magnetic Me

5. Lego Box

6. Catch Ball (you know, the one that you attach to your wrist and throw and then it bounces back to you so that you can play catch with yourself!)

7. Play Packs- there are so many different ones to choose from. They have everything from Star Wars to Hello Kitty to Minions to Inside Out.
8. Candy- Clearly, we don't want our son to be on a sugar-high while stuck in the car, but a fun candy necklace is entertaining and delicious!
Useful Items:
9. Sunglasses
10. Dry Erase Markers (to draw on the windows of our car during our roadtrip)

11. Personal Fan

12. Conversation Cards- this sounds silly, I know. But it helped time go by. We got him this set that was pretty much a version of kids 'would you rather' questions and we used them to talk and entertain ourselves for over an hour!

Now, travel gifts don't have to just be for kids. They can also be for adults! I know my husband enjoys these just as much as my son. That being said, I usually only get him 1 or 2 presents. Here are some things I have gotten him in the past:
1. Magazine- My husband doesn't subscribe to any magazines so it's nice for him to be able to thumb through Wired when we travel.
2. Portable charger- He uses his phone more than anyone I know so of course, it's always dying when we're out doing stuff all day. These are GREAT for vacations.
3. Travel Press- This is one of the coolest things I've bought him to date! My husband loves his french press at home so when I got him a travel version? Oh, he was in love!
4. Puzzle book- My husband just loves crossword puzzles. And he thinks it's so fun to get me involved in them with him. So we try to solve all the puzzles together. It's nice while in the car because I can drive, he's giving the hints, and it keeps both of us entertained!
5. Headphones- because sometimes, I'm fine with everyone else in the car listening/watching something else while I drive and jam out to the music I want to listen to! lol

Remember how I said this list wasn't just for kids? Well, it's not just for husbands either! Sometimes, I even buy myself some travel gifts! Sad? Maybe. But fun? Of course! Here's what I get:
1. Nail polish- not for use while in the car, clearly.
2. A new waterbottle- preferably one that will keep my drink cold for 24 hours!
3. Journal- so I can write down everything about our vacation to report back to you guys!
4. Adult coloring book (and some colored pencils)

We love putting together little presents to make the actual traveling part of our vacations (which isn't always fun) a little more tolerable. What are some things you get your kids as travel gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment